March 28, 2024, 06:03:43 PM

Author Topic: September Update thoughts  (Read 10437 times)

JeffWilson76

September Update thoughts
« on: September 15, 2016, 10:37:06 PM »
First of all, how great is it that I now have a sophisticated hybrid network scanner as a fat client on my Windows PC?!? It's great, let me tell you.

And secondly, how great is it that with my license I can scan public ranges, to help secure my company's environment from threats? Superb! Thanks!

That said, a few comments on the update:
1) With powerful software like this, I'm glad you check the hash/signature on the download before installing it. The temptation for malware authors is too great especially on software like this

2) Please enable a dark mode/theme similar to Visual Studio 2015

3) Please add port scanning as a right-click menu option for a given host

4) And lastly, and most urgently, please allow us the ability to scan ranges smaller than a /24. If at all possible, I'd like the add ip range box to accept CIDR notation as in 1.2.3.4/27 without an error message resulting.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 12:14:18 PM by Komodo Support »

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Re: September Update thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 04:59:31 PM »
First of all, how great is it that I now have a sophisticated hybrid network scanner as a fat client on my Windows PC?!? It's great, let me tell you
Thank you so much for the compliment.  We're working hard to improve it.

And secondly, how great is it that with my license I can scan public ranges, to help secure my company's environment from threats? Superb! Thanks!
You're welcome.  We wanted to prevent Slitheris from being used maliciously, so we initially banned Internet IP scans.  Later we decided to allow licensed users to scan of up to 5 /24 IP ranges.  The trial version permits scanning of a single /24 subnet.

That said, a few comments on the update:
1) With powerful software like this, I'm glad you check the hash/signature on the download before installing it. The temptation for malware authors is too great especially on software like this
This has been important to us for a while, although since the software is performing the download itself, it would be exceedingly difficult for a 3rd party to intercept and direct it to a different file.  So it was primarily added for user's peace of mind.

As for the share links, we will be adding an option to do that for licensed users in the near future.  Thank you for that suggestion.

2) Please enable a dark mode/theme similar to Visual Studio 2015
Unfortunately dark theme probably won't be possible for some time, no matter how much we agree and have thought about it ourselves.  There are many other more important features to add first, like accurate high-definition identification of network devices.  This would be much more granular than simply differentiating switches, routers or printers.  It's an ambitious undertaking, but an obsession.

3) Please add port scanning as a right-click menu option for a given host
Do you mean the ability to simply scan any selected hosts?  If so, yes, we'd like to add this and related features within a month.  I ask because Slitheris doesn't yet have a port scan feature in the stricter sense, although it does scan many ports for information.  We just don't display individual port status, but we may look into such a feature later.

4) And lastly, and most urgently, please allow us the ability to scan ranges smaller than a /24. If at all possible, I'd like the add ip range box to accept CIDR notation as in 1.2.3.4/27 without an error message resulting.
Perfect timing.  We are currently working on a full replacement for our ping sweep engine.  In addition to CIDR and extremely efficient sweeping of very large arbitrary IP ranges, it will have real-time display of the sweep, with much more information and greater reliability.  We don't have a specific time-table yet, but it should be fully completed within the next 2 months or so.

There's a lot to do in the area of beta testing with this new technology.  So if you're interested helping us try it out, we'll contact you by email when we're ready.  And if other licensed users are interested, please let us know here in the forums or contact our support department by email.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 12:14:56 PM by Komodo Support »

JeffWilson76

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 07:08:23 PM »
Awesome. I'm excited about the enhanced scanning engine and other product enhancements as well.

Absolutely willing to beta test your products against network environments large and small. Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 12:15:20 PM by Komodo Support »

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 06:23:11 PM »
No problem.  Thank you for recognizing what we're trying to do.  We're somewhat focusing on testing with MSPs (Managed Service Providers) because they run into more disparate networks than anyone else and they're always looking for something to do their job better.  But we're also looking for other beta testers who deal one main network.

We'll make sure to get with you as soon as we have something.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 12:15:37 PM by Komodo Support »