March 29, 2024, 11:24:19 AM

Author Topic: Contact Author messages (fixed as of v2.5)  (Read 11020 times)

merdavid

Contact Author messages (fixed as of v2.5)
« on: March 19, 2004, 02:53:24 PM »
Hi after a scan i\'m getting contact author messages 135171 and 33821227 for NT 4.0 Servers under OS Type (DB), and althought it does scan and log some of the fields it doesn\'t all, giving me the no privileges error.
Cheers

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 06:20:10 PM »
Thank you.  These are values we need to add to our OS Types database.  NEWT Pro normally matches these numbers to give a realtime approximation of the OS Type.  Some one will contact you by email for more assistance.

There are several messages on our forums regarding "No Privileges", but are NT-based OS's (NT4/W2K/XP/2K3) giving you this or are they Win9x/ME?

Also, are you running on a domain or workgroup configuration?

merdavid

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 07:18:25 AM »
The first number is given for a NT 4 Server and the second for 2000 Server, hope this helps.

carenp

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 04:53:04 PM »
also seeing "no privileges", even though i'm administrator (and logged in) on both machines...  contact author 332803 on machine one, contact author 463875 on machine two...  both are running win2k pro...

same admin, password both machines, workgroup setting...  remote registry turned off as security issue...

thank you...

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 07:22:28 PM »
Hello there.  Thanks for the numbers, we will add them to our database.

I'm afraid you'll need to turn on the remote registry service to allow scanning as this where NEWT looks for a good deal of its information and its accessibility determines whether you get a "No Privileges" message.

Thanks again

carenp

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 10:04:27 PM »
i can understand why this may be true regarding the machine at the other end of the network hub, but it also displays for the "local machine", where i'm already logged on...

same thing?  i'll turn it on for both machines (only when i need an audit) and see what happens...

thanx

==============
several hours later
==============

set services on for both machines...  i received about 20% of the requested information for the machine i was logged into personally, and 0% of the information requested for the networked machine...  however, i did NOT see the "no privileges" statement, so i guess i'm getting better information when i DO get it (grin)...

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 05:26:25 AM »
May I ask what color icons you're getting for both machines?  Are they green, yellow or red?

carenp

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 05:48:35 AM »
you really must change the blinking icons...  if they are supposed to tell me something, make them a bit more obvious on a 1600x1200 screen...  like a solid colour for the whole machine line until something goes wrong...  it's blinking too fast to see what it is...  kinda surreal to someone this late at night :)

as for the system, i had to turn the services back on (security)...  once done, i got to software before getting "no privileges"...  it took almost 6 minutes to run through machine one (no privileges), then just a few seconds to "no privilege" machine two...

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 06:54:31 AM »
;)
What OS's are both your local and your remote machine?  And have you tried rebooting after starting the Remote Registry Service?  Not that you should need to, but we want to explore all possibilities.

Also, if they are WinXP, are the Security Models changed to Classic?

As seen here:
http://www.komododigital.com/winsecurity.htm

You can also try opening the remote machine's registry with RegEdit and browsing to:
SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Uninstall

If you can do this ok, NEWT Pro should give back all requested information during a scan.

We definitely need to write a good troubleshooting guide on this issue.  This will probably happen soon after we're finished with the latest version.