March 28, 2024, 07:32:06 PM

Author Topic: Version information  (Read 9157 times)

Coastie

• Beta Tester
  • Twitter @askyourgeek
Version information
« on: June 23, 2004, 05:01:40 PM »
I was doing an inventory of my systems to determine what version of Corel WordPerfect was installed on each system. I found no information as to the version that is installed on each system. Is this normal and if so how then can I determine versions for these software packs which don't report the versions? I can not determine if I have all the Licenses I need if this is the case.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Version information
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 09:47:23 PM »
NEWT, like most inventory products, uses the uninstall portion of the registry to get the same information contain in "Add/Remove Programs" for that machine.  It's the responsibilty of the developer (in this case Corel) to add this information to the registry.  

It's very strange that Corel would just use the name of "Corel Applications" and leave the version # unfilled.  Are you sure there are no other Corel's listed for that machine?  Perhaps it's under "Word Perfect"?  Sometimes you may need to sort the Software list to make sure since it is read in registry order initially and not sorted.

If you still can't find any version info, please let us know.

Coastie

• Beta Tester
  • Twitter @askyourgeek
Version information
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 09:02:09 AM »
No, I checked again the only thing it says is Corel Applications. Most have WordPerfect 2000/SP4 installed. The ones that have a newer version of WordPerfect does give more information.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Version information
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 09:16:51 AM »
So the ones that have a newer version than WP 2000 shows the version, or does WP 2000 show it too?

We've considered other ways of retreiving a software list.  The Uninstall area of the registry is the fastest, and is usually satisfactory, but it relies on software developers to provide the information.  Some do, but many do not.

Another method is to use a database/long search in addition or rather than using "Uninstall".  NEWT would search for all applications on a remote machine matching a software entry in the database and displaying other unknown software, then asking if it would be ok to send information about the software so we may enter it into the database for quicker searches.

This would eventually increase the distribution size of our software several times, although we could let the software offer this as an optional download during installation or when choosing the option.  Using this method would also slow down software scanning tremendously, but you would know every piece of software on the remote machine if it's installed properly or not, even if it's zipped.

We will look into this as a possible future addition to NEWT Pro.

Coastie

• Beta Tester
  • Twitter @askyourgeek
Version information
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 09:27:01 AM »
None of my WP 2000 shows version information only higher versions.

As for your suggestion maybe it could be an option for the end user to select to do a more thorough scan. This way it only slows down retrieve information if the user selects to scan in more depth. Or maybe the end user could select the app from the list and right click and select something like scan for more detail. Just a few ideas.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Version information
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 08:16:03 PM »
I understand now.  We apologize you're not able to use NEWT right now for this task.

Those are fine ideas.  And we'll consider them in later upgrades.  Thanks..