March 28, 2024, 09:33:49 AM

Author Topic: cannot discover any pcs only servers  (Read 9423 times)

amss125

cannot discover any pcs only servers
« on: December 13, 2004, 03:26:42 PM »
all workstations are windows 2000 sp4. If I remove option in discovery "only pc's with resolveable names" I get all pcs by ip, but na access and network path not found prevent scan. I have discovered that file and print sharing has been turned off on the image for this network. Is there a reg key that enables file print sharing? Is file print sharing neccessary for newt to retrieve data? Is there a list of services specific for newt to operate?
I ask these questions because in a test inviornment, when i enabled file and print sharing i was able to see and collect the data from the machines. I am hoping I don't have to go to 3 floors and manually enable and then go back to enable same.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 04:32:16 PM »
There may be settings in the registry to enable file/print sharing, but we haven't researched it yet.

NEWT needs to 2 basic types of access, ability to read any entry in the remote registry and remote WMI access.  Disabling File/Print sharing may disable one or both of these.

Are you able to open one of the remote registries using RegEdit and visit the following path?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Uninstall

amss125

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 05:46:48 PM »
I can only get to registry on pc's that I have enabled file and print sharing. Remote Registry service is running on all pcs. How can I verify wmi and or permissions, if file/print is not the cause?

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 07:36:42 PM »
Actually, it sounds like file/print sharing is the cause since you were able to get information from the remote machines after enabling it.

Are we misunderstanding?

amss125

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 04:09:05 AM »
Understanding is correct. Can I do anything you know of to bypass or gain access with file and print sharing turned off. Users don't have admin rights (they can't enable f/p sharing. I am trying no to go to each pc, login as admin to enable. One of the techs ran cisco works, it resolved ip/hostnames, newt won't even do that. I am looking for any reference of where file and print sharing can be turned on/off in registry, because i have been assured they have a utility that they currently run to make registry changes. It does involve adding the users to the pc admin group temporarily, but i need help identifying the reg key to change.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 08:06:51 AM »
Hello, we've moved this to a private email discussion since it's a very specific issue to your network.

Thanks!