March 28, 2024, 05:01:04 PM

Author Topic: WMI: The RPC server is unavailable (fixed as of v2.5)  (Read 10672 times)

pgr06

WMI: The RPC server is unavailable (fixed as of v2.5)
« on: February 16, 2006, 09:53:46 PM »
Please help me with a problem about this and similar errors...
WMI: The RPC server is unavailable

I searched on the forum, but it seems like you would help on a one to one basis.... thanks for your assistance..
NEWT Professional v2.0.2284

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 01:13:51 AM »
Hi, one of the reasons we\'ve been helping users individually is to build a sort of knowledge base that we can infuse into NEWT later.  It\'s time we start helping on the forum however.

There can be several reasons for this error, depending on the configuration of your network and individual machines.

Can you give us a little information about your network?  Are you running on a domain or a workgroup?

Also, are the machines giving this error running XP/SP2?

pgr06

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 11:31:51 AM »
Thanks....for the reply....our network served be a Small business server 2000 as a domain.  we have purchased a 50 node license, and we 28 machines.  The machines that are giving this error are XP/SP2, but what is baffling is that not all the machines that are XP/SP2 are giving this error.  of the 15 machines that are XP/SP2, one does not have this error...what is even more baffling is that, when I was running the demo version, there were two machines that did not have this error.  I was hoping that, if we purchased a license, this problem would go away....awaiting your helpful response.....Thanks

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 01:19:34 PM »
That is baffling indeed.

Since you\'re on a 2000 domain, could you check the Group Policy Editor on the server and see if there\'s a \"Allow remote administration exception\" and if it\'s enabled?

It can usually be found in the following path:
Administrative Templates\\Network\\Network Connections\\Windows Firewall\\Domain Profile

This is the best place to change machines globally, but because it\'s 2000 server and older than XP, it may not be there.

If it isn\'t, please try running this script locally on one of the problem machines and then try scanning.  I don\'t believe a reboot is needed.

pgr06

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 07:46:42 PM »
On our Small Business Server 2000, I could not locate the path for \"Allow remote administration exception\"...i.e. Admin Templates/Network/Network Connections/etc.... and when you say try running this script locally, what script?...

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 10:26:13 PM »
I\'m very sorry, I forgot to post the link:
http://www.komodolabs.com/OpenFireWallForWMI.zip

Please let me know if this works.

pgr06

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 12:47:33 AM »
I tried it on a machine that is most close to me and it worked wonderfully...great...now, I have a Windows XP Home that has its workgroup as our domain name and I have it\'s admin credentials entered as alternate creds but I get the error in attached screenshot....I shall deploy the script on the other offending machines and will give you more info about them later....thanks...for your timely help....

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 01:57:56 AM »
Great.  We\'re working on ways to allow users to apply settings like these to selected machines, but for now you\'ll need to run the script just once on each machine exhibiting the RPC error.

Unfortunately XP Home (Win9x/ME as well) isn\'t supported yet since Home was designed not to support remote administration.  We may support these in the future however.

pgr06

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 03:07:26 AM »
Success!!!! Successs!!! Thanks a lot!!! have it all except for the one machine that was XP Home, everything went well....now I can bury my managers with a lot of seemingly meaningless data...lol....

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 09:59:22 PM »
You\'re very welcome!