March 29, 2024, 08:58:11 AM

Author Topic: Newt Pro installation on Domain Controller  (Read 7672 times)

chrism

Newt Pro installation on Domain Controller
« on: May 17, 2006, 04:22:49 AM »
Hello,

We recently installed Newt Pro 2.0 (we are currently in process of purchasing, using 60day licensekey) onto our Active directory Domain Controller; the scanning is working fine on our domain, however we now appear to have a problem with AD replication between sites that was not evident before the installation of Newt Pro. We have made no other changes at this point other than the installation.

I have since uninstalled NEWT pro software but we are still getting this issue. Obviously this is a major concern and I would like to know if there are issues with installing the software on Domain Controllers.

Regards,
Chris

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 04:40:40 AM »
Hello Chris.  This is not a known issue with NEWT Pro since it only uses Windows APIs and does not write or change any settings whatsoever.

Could there have been something changed coincidentally when NEWT was installed?

Also does forcing AD replication help?

chrism

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 10:23:19 PM »
Thanks,

I\'m not aware of any changes being made so we are continuing to investigate problem. Unfortunately forcing AD replication in not working either.:(

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 06:05:34 AM »
Could there have been an automatic Windows update on the Domain Controller that changed its behavior?

NEWT has been in use for a couple years now and we\'ve never heard it causing a problem with Domain Controllers.

If your sites are connected via a WAN, and you\'re scanning computers on WAN (not the LAN), NEWT could have been stealing some bandwidth normally used for replication, but after you stop scanning, the latency should subside at least within a day.  That\'s if low bandwidth is even the cause.

What doesn\'t make sense is that a forced replication isn\'t helping.

Are you using a T1 or T3 link between sites?