March 29, 2024, 02:57:30 PM

Author Topic: No Privileges  (Read 9425 times)

Tarran

No Privileges
« on: September 14, 2006, 07:16:06 PM »
I have been trying out this program based upon the suggestion of a friend and I have to say that when it works it works great, but when it doesn\'t it\'s driving me a little crazy.

My newest issue is trying to connect to certain PCs and getting the error in the topic. I am running this program as a domain admin and all of the PCs I\'m attempting to connect to are on the domain with XP SP2. I have even tried turning off the firewall completely on the machines I am having problems with to no avail. I have checked to see if DCOM is running and it is and I can not see any services that are running on one machine that is not running on another. I have tried using the local admin login only to get the same result. I can ping these machines from the machine I am scanning from and it does get some of the information but the rest shows no privileges or WMI errors.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
No Privileges
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 12:29:59 AM »
Hello.  Not all machines are set up the same and not all networks.

Machines that say \"No Network Provider Accepted the Given Network Path\", are you able to browse these machines using Windows Explorer by simply typing in \"\\\\RemoteMachineNameHere\"?

Other errors require a little more investigation, but we\'d need to know more specifically what they are.

Some users have a variety of problems with remote access due to the many security options available under Windows.  We\'re currently looking at ways to better help our users with these problems.

BigJohnDoe

No Privileges
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 06:56:47 PM »
I\'ve been using Newt Free for the past two weeks. It\'s worked so well that my company has agreed to buy the Pro version. But I digress...
I\'m the administrator on a Win Server 2003 AD domain. I ran a scan on Monday (with the Free version) and all the workstations, either Win2K or XP Pro, returned information.
On Wednesday I ran another scan. All workstations except one returned info - the exception is a Win XP Pro PC. The user is the local admin for the PC and is a \"domain user.\" He\'s very PC experienced and savvy (he\'s also someone with too much time on his hands and likes to tinker). When asked what he changed on his PC that\'s blocking Newt\'s scanning, he of course said \"nothing.\"
When I logged in on his PC (as the domain and local admin) and examined his PC, I didn\'t really find anything obvious. His Windows Firewall is disabled and I didn\'t find any services or policies that look suspicious. Do you have a suggesion as to where I should dig deeper? Thanks.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
No Privileges
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 11:49:36 PM »
Hi there.  Different errors require their own solutions.  The Freeware version doesn\'t include much diagnostic information to help solve the problem.

Could you try NEWT Pro and let us know what the error says?  We don\'t yet advertise it, but you can request a free 30-day trial for your entire network by filling out this form:

http://www.komodolabs.com/eval.htm

BigJohnDoe

No Privileges
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 12:48:36 PM »
Thanks for the info. I\'ve registered for the eval version and will download and install it when I get in to work tomorrow.
I\'ll let you know what the diagnostics suggest when run against the \"blocked\" workstation.

BigJohnDoe

No Privileges
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 11:45:07 AM »
I\'ve installed the evaluation copy and the problem PC still cannot be scanned. I\'ve got a list of the enabled/disabled services from the PC. Can you tell me what specific services that Newt uses so I can verify these services are still running on the problem PC?
Also, if you could supply the port number that Newt uses to scan, I should be able to verify that the port is not being filtered or blocked. Or if you can suggest any additional ways to troubleshoot the scan blocking I\'ll give those a try today. Thanks.

(BTW, I\'ve notified Ms. Roth in your sales department that our payment for the full, 100 licensed users has been sent.)

BigJohnDoe

No Privileges
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 12:13:51 PM »
Administrator:

The message/alert I now receive on the problem PC is:

\"The network path was not found. (Error: 53) during Registry Open.\"

In addition, some detailed information is returnee to Newt but other columns are still listed as \"No Privileges.\"

Hope this helps.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
No Privileges
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 03:02:10 AM »
This is just a follow up.  I believe you had sent our tech\'s an email saying you\'ve gotten this taken care of by enabling the Remote Registry Service, correct?