March 28, 2024, 12:06:28 PM

Author Topic: \"No Privileges\" (fixed as of v2.5)  (Read 13059 times)

homerboy

\"No Privileges\" (fixed as of v2.5)
« on: December 17, 2003, 07:56:28 PM »
FINALLY the pro version is out... however. Im getting an error on all the boxes scanned (except mine) of \"no privileges\" for everything except Machine Name, Group., MAC and IP addresses and OS. EVERYTHING else lists as \"no prviliges\" HELP!
"Ah... In a time of such ugliness, the only true protest is to be beautiful." - The Refused.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 09:30:52 PM »
This is something we'd like to write a tutorial on soon, but let's see if we can help you.

The best way to set up a Microsoft Network is by using a Domain Controller.  This allows an easy way to control user privileges.  If you are on a Domain, then all you need to do to get privileges is to make yourself or ask your network admin. to make you a member of the Domain Administrator group.

If you are on a Workgroup, then you must use the exact same username and password for each machine.  This of course, is not an optimum setup.

You can determine whether your groups are Domains or Workgroups by using the Network Groups Information tool located under the Tools menu.

Unfortunately, the only way to scan machines without privileges (including Win9x/ME machines) is to use a software agent that you must install on each machine.  We are working on such an application for NEWT Pro, but if your network is set up as described above, you don't need such an app. and you'll save a lot of time.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

homerboy

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 03:24:46 PM »
no no its cool.
I was a moron
The login I was using when doing the scans was handicapped on the domain controller (Novell actually). I just had to relog with a admin login and all is cool.
Now where do I send my money? I have 50+ machines to scan :)

Im not sure how you guys plan on marketing this program, but you really need to get it out there on cnet, downlaod.com tucows.com etc etc. I Dont even recall how I stumbled across your site some time ago, but I know it was by pure fluke.

You really need to start (*gasp*) soliciting to admins and such. This is a tremendous program for a windows based LAN.

I may also recommend limiting the 'demo' to maybe 5 PCs scanned as I know a lot of smaller business and such that have under 10 PCs, but would love a program like this. And with the demo allowing up to 10, they never have to register :)

Either that or handicap the demo more liek no exports or something.

Just suggestion(s) from a sales/marketing guy now gone IT.
"Ah... In a time of such ugliness, the only true protest is to be beautiful." - The Refused.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 08:19:03 PM »
Great, we're glad you were able to get it working.

To purchase NEWT Pro, just head over to our main website: http://www.komododigital.com and click the Purchase button.  This will take you to a page describing our pricing and single input form that will calculate your cost based on how many machines you wish to scan.  Upon submittion you will be taken to a secured site where you can purchase NEWT Pro.

Thank you for your marketing suggestions.  We've actually just submitted our software to Download.com, Webattack.com, and Tucows.com.  NEWT Pro should be listed on these shortly.  We also plan on redesigning our NEWT Freeware version as it has proliferated through the Internet and has brought us many potential customers.

A lot consideration was made as to how many machines we wanted to limit the evaluation.  Since we're also software users, our tendencies are to be a bit liberal.  Many of our competitors have a limited time trial in addition to limiting the number of machines.  We don't know how other users feel, but there have been many times when we ran previously installed trials only to be frustrated to find out the time limit has expired.  This is why our current policy is to never to limit a user's time with our software unless there can be no other imposed limitations.  We considered 5, 10 and 20 machines to be competitive, but 10 was settled on as a good median.  If a small company has less than 10 machines, we very much encourage their use of NEWT Pro.  This helps the company, gives us positive exposure, and when a small company grows larger, they may be very likely to purchase our product.

We believe in full usage with the least amount of limitations we can justify.  We hope our users appreciate this and consider us for their IT software needs.

Your comments are very appreciated and we look forward to having you as a customer!

nigh8mare

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 05:21:01 PM »
Can't you just install "Remote Registry Service" on each PC. Using "User level" access? This will give the server access to the remote registry. I've did it to all of mine. There are still a few things i can't see. But most of it is there. Remote Registry Service can be installed from the original O/S CD. It is not part of the cab files so even if you copied all the cab files you can't find it to install.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 09:25:42 PM »
Hi there.  I assume you're talking about Win9x/ME machines?

nigh8mare

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 12:53:03 PM »
Yes

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 04:17:31 PM »
Ah yes, you could install the Remote Registry Service on Win9x machines and gather some information.  Because there are many incompatibilities between 9x registries and NT's, we feared there would be little information gathered.

This is a good idea and one we hadn't explored because of this.  We will look into this further.

Thanks!

nigh8mare

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 01:42:08 PM »
Yes. but you do get some. Plus it will hold me over untill you get the app done for those of us who's network is not set up as a domain.

Thanks

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 09:57:31 PM »
Actually, it's not because the Win9x machine isn't on a domain.  It's due to the limited nature of the Win9x OS.  Even on a domain you'd need agents for all Win9x machines.