April 16, 2024, 06:27:38 AM

Author Topic: issue sitill  (Read 10910 times)

bindtech

issue sitill
« on: January 31, 2007, 03:11:47 PM »
I\'m new to the product and I\'m testing out a bunch of different scans.  I have noticed that the scans pick up the serial number but not the whole number. Some of the dells and acer pcs have 32 digit serial No and i only get approx 1/2. Is this a setting in the pc itself or is there an option in newt. Thanks in advance

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
issue sitill
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 03:45:18 PM »
Hi there.  You\'re talking about the Monitor Serial Number, correct?  Or are we talking about both the Monitor serial number and the Computer serial number?  Because while the Monitor serial number may be shorter than what\'s on the monitor, the PC serial number should not be.

NEWT, and other software like it, grabs the Monitor\'s Serial Number from what is stored in the monitor itself.  Many times this number may be shorter than what\'s stamped on the outside of the monitor due to a current limitation of what monitors can store (called the EDID specification).  Although the numbers may be shorter, the prefix of that number should be the same on that particular monitor model.

For example, you may have 2 Dell monitor\'s that show the following:
X3P432V9A
B4P321C2B

While the true serial number on back of the monitor is:
D17L122X3P432V9A
D17L122B4P321C2B

The prefix D17L122 should be the same for all monitors of the same model.  Having the end part (the suffix) and the Model (also provided in NEWT) should be enough to uniquely identify that monitor to the manufacturer for any purpose.

Although many lease companies use the entire serial number, it is simply unavailable to the computer (not stored in the monitor) and therefore unavailable to NEWT and software like it.

As far as the PC\'s serial number, we haven\'t seen instances where it is shorter than the one listed on the computer itself, especially on Dells.  May we ask what model of Acer is not showing the entire PC serial number?

bindtech

issue sitill
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 04:12:08 PM »
Thank you for the quick response.  I understand what you have said and that answered my question. I just wanted to be certain on the monitor serial no. before I begin asset management.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
issue sitill
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 04:20:04 PM »
Ok great.  So you weren\'t also talking about the PC Serial Number being too short?

bindtech

issue sitill
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 04:52:32 PM »
The Computer serial is fine. I just checked again and I am trying to grab Acer monitor and having the issue.  It is grabbing the first set of digits that are on all acer monitors so in short they all show up to have same serial no. Newt is not finding the last part the unique part of the serial No.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
issue sitill
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 07:35:23 PM »
Oh, well that certainly sounds like a problem.

Could you try the following free software locally on one of those and let us know if it shows something different than NEWT?  Or if it shows the correct Monitor Serial # where NEWT does not?

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/monitorinfoview.zip