March 29, 2024, 01:52:57 PM

Author Topic: Scan Pc in a domain  (Read 8392 times)

74HCT245

Scan Pc in a domain
« on: October 17, 2008, 04:28:30 PM »
Hello, 2 question:
1) how have to set NEWTpro to have the check box \"Try Empty Credentials First\" active. Now it is ever greyed..and I do not select it...

2) I have try to scan some pc in my network but i have not access admin$. I have tried with administrator and password (credential for local pc and domain but do not work in both case).The network is a win 2003 Domain. There is a vademecum to set NewtPro in a domain Network?

Thanks

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Scan Pc in a domain
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 10:14:23 PM »
Hello, I can help you.

1. The \"Try Empty Credentials\" feature is currently always on and can\'t be disabled at the moment.  We will change this in an upcoming release.  This was actually left over from version 2 because it scanned so much slower and checking empty credentials can take a few seconds.  But with 2.5 this shouldn\'t be a problem, but we can get it re-enabled if needed.  Is there a reason you don\'t want NEWT to try accessing the machine without credentials first?

2. If you\'re in a domain, you should be able to make yourself part of the \"Domain Admin\" group on the domain controller.  If you do this and re-login to the domain, you should have access to all the machines without any credentials.

If you continue to have an issue getting access to the ADMIN$ share, please let us know and we\'ll contact you directly through email since we\'ll need some more information.

74HCT245

Scan Pc in a domain
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 04:45:13 PM »
Hello,
I have tried to solve the problem of no Access Admin$ with the \"set credential\". In my test i had to scan 3 pc, and they are in domain. I used my personal pc (also in same domain) to scan they.
I had set credential in the panel of NEWTpro for heach pc (i have used the local administrator of these pc\'s and their password).
But do not scan. I thought that the empty credential I could create problems and NewT could do no used the pc\'s credential.
Now you say that I have to make me in \"Domain Admin\". But I do not understand why. NewT has access on pc local.

However I will follow your suggestion. We must achieve a result in order to convince my boss to buy Newt...
thanks a lot.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Scan Pc in a domain
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 07:17:32 PM »
Ok, let us contact you by email then.  One of the advantages of being on a domain is not having to use local credentials on each machine or NEWT credentials at all.

Even though NEWT says it\'s trying empty credentials first, if there is a username/password under Machine Specific Credentials (on the right), NEWT will only use the credentials you entered.  This display issue will be fixed on the next update.