March 29, 2024, 07:49:42 AM

Author Topic: Cant scan some machines... (fixed as of v2.5)  (Read 16666 times)

homerboy

Cant scan some machines... (fixed as of v2.5)
« on: January 07, 2004, 06:30:32 PM »
Ok out of my trial 10 machines, I cant scan 3 of them and Im losing my mind as to why...

This was kind of covered before (HERE)However the more I look at it I\'m still having issues.

From that previous post, NEWT uses the domain controller privledges when scanning and secondarily (is that a word?) the user login/pass to gain access to that machine.

Our domain controller is Novell, not MS, and I am CERTAIN I have Admin rights on that. (triple checked over and over) Are we sure NEWT will work through Novell?

Now too look at user login/passwords as a secondary means of access... out of these 3 machines I have confirmed and verified that my login is created on their machines with identical user names/passwords.

What am I missing here?  Why cant I see these 3 other machines?

/me going nuts, cuz Im sure its something simple.
"Ah... In a time of such ugliness, the only true protest is to be beautiful." - The Refused.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 07:50:41 PM »
Actually, it's an either/or situation.  If you're using a domain controller, then the username and password shouldn't matter.  Only that the username you're logged in as is set to Domain Administrator on the controller.  Only when you're logged into a workgroup does the username/password need to be the same.

NEWT sits above the Microsoft OS and asks it for privileges.  It doesn't know about Novell, so it shouldn't care.

I assume you're getting "No Privileges", but that you can actually see these machines on your network.

One thing you could try is opening one of the 3 problem machines with RegEdit from the machine your scanning with.  This would show us if it's a NEWT problem.

Just open RegEdit, connect to the remote machine using the Registry menu, then browse to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion"

If you can do this, then you have sufficient privileges, if not then we'll need to explore other avenues to get access.

Nice picture by the way.  :)

homerboy

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 08:35:08 PM »
Ok I think Ive got it (not good)

Like a 2x4 to the forhead I just realized the Novell machine is not acting as a domian controller (hey Im new here, dont know Novell and have been trying to catch up since day 1.. so lay off! :))

Anyways, I realized when logging into the 2k machines, its just a normal win2k login screen, not a domain login. After we login, theres a small script that runs and passes our windows user name/pass to the Novell machine and logs us in there (Novell user name/pass = Win2k user name/pass)

So... in this case it seems to actually be using the workgroup scanning method (crap)

What interesting though, as I stated before is that I KNOW that the user name/pass Im logged onto this, the scanning computer with, is identical to those 3 machines I cant scan. And Im not getting "No Privileges" on those machines, Im simply returns the Machine name, group, OS, OS type and all the other fields are simply blank.

I think NEWT may not work for me... :(
"Ah... In a time of such ugliness, the only true protest is to be beautiful." - The Refused.

homerboy

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 08:44:35 PM »
Oh and yeah... the picture is an old avatar favorite. I just happened to fig it up.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 08:55:50 PM »
What happens if you click on one of those 3 machines in the Primary tab and try rescan it?

It's true that NEWT Pro may not work on all networks.  Many companies are now migrating from Novell to a true Microsoft network, so we haven't looked into it deeply.

Did you try the RegEdit test?  We would be interested to know how this turned out.

homerboy

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 03:14:03 PM »
One thing you could try is opening one of the 3 problem machines with RegEdit from the machine your scanning with. This would show us if it's a NEWT problem.

Just open RegEdit, connect to the remote machine using the Registry menu, then browse to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion"

I can get to this regsitry n/p But I still cant scan the machine. I dont get a "no priv. message" I just get the Group, OS and OS Type fields filled in and the rest are blank...

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 04:30:57 PM »
During the scan of one of these problem machines, can you see that NEWT is trying to scan all of the items?  You can see this at the bottom of the screen.

Also, may I ask what color does the icon for the machine in the Primary tab appear as?

homerboy

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 05:01:10 PM »
See attached.

10-106 is an example of a PC that returns nothing (PC icon red) While others like 103 return with "No Priv" Icon red too.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 05:22:32 PM »
Thank you for the image.

There is a Scan Status column in the Primary tab.  I'm curious as to what it says for each of the machines where you're getting nothing but Name, Group, OS, and OS Type.

The only time we've seen this behavior is if the machine is turned off or it has been disconnected from the network.  I doubt either of these are true in this case, but let's see what NEWT thinks the problem is.  This may be something very unique to your network.

homerboy

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 05:58:43 PM »
"1/12/2004 at 8:45:23 AM in 00m04s / Computer off?"

Rest assured these PCs are on and full functional on the network.

I SHOULD try ther reverse and see if they can see me...

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 06:13:53 PM »
Then at this point, I would like to also try just pinging one or two of the "Computer off?" machines from your machine- the one you've been scanning with.

If you haven't done this before, you can simply type "ping  [MachineName]" in a DOS prompt.  If you know the IP address of one them, you can try that as well.

homerboy

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2004, 06:35:42 PM »
CRIIIIIIIIIIPES I just realzied the common thread.
All these PC has Zone Alarm installed. Un freaking beleivable.

Edit: Oh and let me add that the local LAN IP range was NOT set up on these machines as "Trusted" Lord I hate inherited networks.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 07:03:34 PM »
That makes sense.  This is the first time we've ran into Zone Alarm or other software firewalls.  Most companies have a hardware-based firewall, as I'm sure your company does, usually negating the need for software-based ones.  We presume these machines had Zone Alarm installed a while before your hardware firewall was.

Thanks for letting us know.  We'll make a note of this in case others have similar problems.

I assume you are able to scan them now.

homerboy

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2004, 07:12:47 PM »
Yeah we have a hardware firewall... which is beyond tight as it is. From what I can decifer, ZA was added on some of the newest machines, so it was "deployed" fairly recently and apparently fairly randomly.

As an added bonus, with the vague namig sequence of our machines here, its going to be a bear just to figure out what machine has it! GAH!! Im going to kill the last guy.

Yeah I would guess it would be a good idea somewhere in your documentation to tell people to watch out for personal firewalls etc. It should have seen it sooner, but its just something that didnt jump out at me out of the gate.

Again, thanks for all your help guys!

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2004, 03:18:04 AM »
No problem.

Apparently NEWT has been able to pinpoint these machines from it thinking they're turned off.  :)  Also, even if you can scan a machine properly with NEWT, you could look at the software tab to see if Zone Alarm is at least installed.

We will add this to the documentation.  We're actually working on a total re-write as the manual is admittedly a bit thin.