March 28, 2024, 01:57:37 PM

Author Topic: Scan only servers  (Read 8611 times)

rgh119

Scan only servers
« on: April 02, 2009, 06:28:38 PM »
Is it possible to only scan servers?  We are getting returns for network equipment such as routers and switches.  Can these be eliminated?

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Scan only servers
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 06:45:31 PM »
Hello there.  I assume you are discovering by IP range?  There is an option in the Discovery panel labeled \"Show live hosts with resolvable hostnames (Windows® machines)\".  This should filter out switches, etc., but it will show other Windows machines than just servers.  You can also Discover by Group and it will only list computers.

There\'s not yet a way to limit the discovery to just servers, but you can discovery everything (routers too if you\'d like) and computers, either by IP Range or Group, and then sort by the \"OS Type\" column in the Primary tab.  You\'ll then have all the servers grouped together.  You can then simply select those machines and click the green Scan button in the upper left-hand corner to just scan the Server machines.  After sorting, you could just select everything that\'s not a server and delete those from the list.

We are working to make specific scans like this much easier in the future.

rgh119

Scan only servers
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 02:55:34 PM »
Thank you for the response.  

Can you tell me how you are determining an OS Type of \"Server (s/SQL Server)\"?   Also, I have noticed \"Primary DC\" and Backup DC/SQL Server\" in the OS Type.  Is this always accurate?

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Scan only servers
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:03:14 PM »
Hi again.  How we determine this is sort of a trade secret, or at least to the extent we\'re able.  We can contact you about it if you\'d like, through the email address you signed up with.

But yes, it should be very accurate and comes from what Windows itself is reporting.  If you see \"Server w/SQL Server\", then that should be a server OS (like W2K3, W2K Server, etc.) and it should have some kind of SQL Server product installed and open to use, but not necessarily in use.  Workstations can also have SQL Server installed, be it MSDE, etc.  Ones that say \"Primary DC\" should really be your Primary Domain Controller, as well as the Backup Domain Controller.  We\'ve never seen or heard of these being inaccurate so it should be relied on.

rgh119

Scan only servers
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 01:50:35 PM »
Yes, please contact me through the email I signed up with.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Scan only servers
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 06:19:50 PM »
No problem, we emailed you today.