April 18, 2024, 04:01:50 AM

Author Topic: Newt Pro and Windows 7  (Read 15078 times)

jcdixon

Newt Pro and Windows 7
« on: February 17, 2010, 05:55:08 PM »
Does anyone have a recommended method of using Newt Pro remotely with Windows 7 (in particular firewall settings).

I\'ve tried creating rules to open ports 136-139, file and printer sharing, remote management, but these settings don\'t seem to make any difference.  It won\'t scan remotely unless I tweak firewall settings.

The only way I\'ve found to do it reliably is to allow inboud requests on the \"domain\" firewall setting.  But of course then you have the dreaded \"red\" warnings that you\'re not protected, enable firewall etc unless you turn off the warnings.

Thanks.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Newt Pro and Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 10:10:09 PM »
Hi there.  Can you tell us the error you\'re getting when you try to scan?

The \"File and Printer Sharing\" exception is basically ports 135-139, so you shouldn\'t need to open those manually.  And Remote Management shouldn\'t need to be enabled to scan with Newt.

Unfortunately, this isn\'t so much a scanning issue concerning Newt Pro specifically.  It\'s a general remote administration issue.  Basically, you need to be able to get to the ADMIN$ share of a remote PC, as in \"\\\\RemotePC\\ADMIN$\" from Windows Explorer or IE.

Using firewall settings that don\'t alert, are you able to get to the ADMIN$ share?  And with those settings, are you able to ping the machines by name?