March 28, 2024, 10:13:03 PM

Author Topic: ADMIN$ Share Access - Error 1326 & Error 5  (Read 11625 times)

mavengroup

ADMIN$ Share Access - Error 1326 & Error 5
« on: August 06, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »
Trying out Newt for the first time.  I am having some trouble accessing the computer on my network.

Specifics:
2-Windows Server 2003
11 - Windows XP Machines

Computer Network is a Workgroup - Not Domain

I am able to finish scans on the two servers (server 1 and server2 - running the software from server 1).

All other computer get the message:
Can\'t access ADMIN$ share on ORTHO20. (Error 5: Access is denied.) -> Hint: You may not be using Administrator credentials. Try visiting \\\\ORTHO20\\ADMIN$ from Windows Explorer or IE.

Excet for one which gets:
Connection error occurred (Error 1326: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.) -> Hint: Right-click & choose \'Set Credentials\' on this or many computers at once. (If on a workgroup, \'Guest only\' may be set under Local Security Settings instead of \'Classic\')

I have checked that the Administrator password and username is set to machine what I am using in credential manager.

When I browse to the computer via the \\\\computername\\ADMIN$ I do get a login prompt, but it says:

User name:  computername\\guest
Password: blank

I am unable to change the username filed as it is grayed out.

I would appreciate any help with this.  Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks!

John

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
ADMIN$ Share Access - Error 1326 & Error 5
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 07:01:50 PM »
Ah yes.  I believe this is due to XP by default using the \"Guest\" security model, which effectively locks it down.  This was done by Microsoft to quell fears at the time that Windows was inherently insecure.

Please try changing the security model according to the following screenshot and let us know if that helps.

http://www.komodolabs.com/winsecurity.htm