March 28, 2024, 06:42:48 PM

Author Topic: Error 5, and Error 53  (Read 7857 times)

alec.lee

Error 5, and Error 53
« on: November 12, 2010, 05:15:06 PM »
Trying NEWT Pro V2.5 demo version for the first time,  
By scanning the running PC itself via the [NETWORK BROSWER] tab, the collected data are certainly helpful.
But when I try to scan through [SCAN ALL-SCAN PANEL-IP RANGE] with only 2 PCs within the set IP-range, the running IP and another PC:
For the running PC, it sometimes can scan the system data, but sometimes fails with an ERROR 5, the credential set to administrator with empty password
For the other PC, it always come out with an ERROR 53, the credential is set to the one of the administrator for the PC in the Credentials Manager.
Pls advice what I have done wrong.
Thank You

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Error 5, and Error 53
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 05:36:56 AM »
Hi there.  I think I can help you with this.

On the PC that gives ERROR 5 when using an empty password...  I\'m guessing this is XP, correct?  I do believe that at some point that XP started not allowing network access all the time with empty passwords.  There is an option to allow blank passwords in the Windows Local Security Policy however.  I\'m not sure why you\'d only sometimes be getting an error.

The other possible issue with an ERROR 5 on an XP machine is if the \"Sharing and Security Model\" for logins is set to Guest instead of Classic.  XP sets this to Guest by default.  Please see the following screenshot to check for this setting:
http://www.komodolabs.com/winsecurity.htm

An error 53 usually means the Windows firewall is enabled.  NEWT will work with firewalls, but you would at least need to enable the \"File and Printer Sharing\" exception.  You could try disabling it just for a test.

Note that some of these issues aren\'t usually seen in a business network, as most PCs are set up properly for remote administration.

Please let me know if this helps.