March 29, 2024, 10:10:32 AM

Author Topic: Non-PC objects  (Read 14186 times)

braekt

Non-PC objects
« on: September 04, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
Hi,
I\'m just beginning to use newt pro, and i wonder how i can scan and/or get information from non-pc objects in my network. I am talking about printers, routers, switches. Is it possible to scan/view them with newt?

thnx for the effort taken,

Erwin in de Braekt

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Non-PC objects
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 06:34:39 PM »
Hello there.  To find information for non-PC devices, you\'ll just need to perform an IP Discovery.  Just click the blue Discover button in the toolbar and then select the \"IP Range\" tab.  You can enter in ranges there or just click the Discover button at the bottom of that window.  NEWT automatically fills in your current IP range.  This will cause NEWT to find any device with an IP address and show some SNMP related information about them.

braekt

Non-PC objects
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 06:39:29 PM »
OK, thnx i\'ve tested this and it works, but some devices can\'t be seen/pinged (no firewall installed). Strange...

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Non-PC objects
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 06:45:49 PM »
You could try changing the Ping Count and Timeout.  I believe NEWT will currently try 3 times with a 1 second timeout.  You could try making it 10 times with a 2 second timeout.  That should catch anything.  These settings are on the actual Discover panel.

If you believe NEWT isn\'t seeing everything, you can test it against a free IP discovery program called \"Angry IP Scanner\".  If it succeeds where NEWT fails, please let us know.

batkins

Non-PC objects
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 05:31:46 PM »
Will Newt treat Virtual Machines as PC\'s or Non-PC Objects?

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Non-PC objects
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 06:59:30 PM »
Hi, Newt currently treats Virtual Machines as normal PCs as far as node license use is concerned.