April 18, 2024, 04:25:09 AM

Author Topic: help (fixed as of v2.5)  (Read 12702 times)

macky

help (fixed as of v2.5)
« on: January 14, 2004, 02:06:57 AM »
i just tried ur product but i\'m encountering some problems...:( there\'s this \"no privileges\" thing. my server is linux and we depend on vlan\'s?how can i scan the other machines, without installing some software to them... can you please help me? thanks

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
help (fixed as of v2.5)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 08:43:13 AM »
As you may know, NEWT Pro requires administrator rights to all the machines on the network from the machine you're scanning with.

There are basically two ways to go about this.  If you're on a domain (using a domain controller), you should be able to set your username to be a part of the Domain Administrator group.  If you're on a workgroup, then the username/password must be the same on each machine.

We're currently working on a feature to allow different usernames/passwords and an agent, to be installed on each machine for cases where Win9x is used, where getting administrator rights are impossible or for laptops that travel abroad.

May I ask if the proper OS versions show up for each machine?

macky

help (fixed as of v2.5)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 12:26:01 AM »
the proper os versions show up for each machines... i'v tried to set the same username and password on other machine but still i can't scan it...help :(

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
help (fixed as of v2.5)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 01:49:18 AM »
Hi.  Do you know if you're on a workgroup or a Domain?  If you're not sure, you can find this out by using the "Network Groups Information" item under the Tools menu.

macky

help (fixed as of v2.5)
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 02:28:37 AM »
i'm on a workgroup...

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
help (fixed as of v2.5)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 03:33:50 AM »
The problem must be that you don't have administrator rights on the remote machines because they all use different logins and passwords.  If you were to use the same username/password on each machine, it should work perfectly.  You can try this on just two machines to test it.

An agent and the ability to use different username/passwords on each machine is in the works.  One of these features would also solve your problem.

macky

help (fixed as of v2.5)
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 05:09:47 AM »
isn't it hard? i have to change all the username/password of each machine? we have more than 400 machines to scan! is there any easiest way? help please

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
help (fixed as of v2.5)
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 07:40:38 AM »
Yes, with 400 machines that would prove to be very difficult and time consuming.  Most organizations with this many machines are usually set up on a domain controller (on a Domain) where user rights can be changed at the drop of a hat.

If you're set up as a workgroup with 400 machines and the logins/passwords are different, even a feature that allows different logins/passwords may not be practical because you'd need to type in a username/password for each machine at least once.

The only other choice is to use an agent, which you would need to manually install on each machine, or by installing it remotely by typing in each machine's username & password as it is asked.  This could take hours or days to deploy.  Our software lacks this feature at this time, but it is being developed.

I'm sorry we couldn't be of any more assistance.  We would ask that you check back in the future to see what developments we've made.

If you have any more questions, we'll try our best to answer them.

macky

help (fixed as of v2.5)
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2004, 09:24:19 PM »
ah ok... thanks for the help...i'll be waiting for any development...;)