March 28, 2024, 12:01:17 PM

Author Topic: Importing machine list  (Read 13776 times)

rellis

Importing machine list
« on: June 07, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »
I need to scan just one OU on the domain. I exported the system list from Active Directory, cleaned up the text file so it only had one host name pe rline and tried to import it to NEWT. It acted like it was taking it but never came up with the host names. How do I get this to work?

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Importing machine list
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 05:03:05 PM »
Hi there.  That should work.  If it\'s ok, we\'ll contact you by email immediately and have you send the file to us.  I know we just fixed an issue related to importing these lists.

kszydlo

Re: Importing machine list
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 09:34:50 PM »
I'm having the same issue. I ran a powershell query to get all the client machines in an OU on my network and exported the names of the machines only. When I tried to import that list I received an error stating "Sorry, no machine names or IPs could be found in the file.

Question about the input. Does it require FQDNs? Will it use namepipes, netbui, or ldap to resolve non-FQDNs (if it doesn't require that the machine name be a FQDN)?

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 08:21:41 PM »
Hi.  The previous user was running an old version at the time, but I suspect you're running the latest v2.5.252?

The current version requires a simple text file with a name on each line, with no quotes, and in standard Windows text file format with a RETURN and LF character at the end of each line.  Opening in Notepad, it should look something like this:

HOMER
LISA
BART

Names can be FQDN, but most use NetBIOS names.  We're actually working on a new version that will include exploring OUs within NEWT itself, so there won't be a need to import.  This will be a free upgrade of course.

If you're still having problems, please let us know.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:34:25 PM by Komodo Support »

kszydlo

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 08:57:28 PM »
It is the current version and I got it to work. There were a couple problems on the output from my powershell queries.

txt files
powershell was adding spaces to the end of each line to fill up to 80 characters (powershell default for out-file). I tried the format-table -autosize, but there were still spaces at the end of each line (to fill up to the longest machine name).

CSVs
When I was trying to import a .CSV, there were quotes and it was missing the commas (since it was a single field). Once I got the script cleaned up to remove the quotes, it was truncating the last character (I'm guessing because it was looking for a commas). Since I reformatted the output to remove the quotes, I renamed the file to a .txt and new had no problems importing the file.

Long story, made short; powershell inserted a lot of "hidden" characters. Make sure to look at the output to ensure it's formatted properly.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
Glad to hear you got it working, thanks for letting us know!  We'll make sure this is more bulletproof in the next major upgrade too.