March 28, 2024, 10:20:05 PM

Author Topic: \"Network Path not Found\"  (Read 17560 times)

homerboy

\"Network Path not Found\"
« on: February 03, 2004, 03:30:53 PM »
Just did a IP Range Discover rather than a workgroup disciver and a few additional machines were found.

However, it is returning with "Network Path Not Found" in the Operating System column and not allowing me to scan these machines.

Interstingly enough I cant see these machines in question through the "Computers Near Me", but a somewhat competitive piece of software, Look@LAN, can see the machines n/p

What obvious item am I overlooking here now?
"Ah... In a time of such ugliness, the only true protest is to be beautiful." - The Refused.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 06:00:12 PM »
Please send us screenshots of the area where NEWT Pro has detected these "machines", but is returning "Network Path Not Found" and also a shot of Look@LAN for the same set of machines.  This will help us understand your situation better.

If this is proprietary information, please email them to support@komododigital.com

homerboy

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 06:16:20 PM »
See attached
"Ah... In a time of such ugliness, the only true protest is to be beautiful." - The Refused.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 06:26:48 PM »
There may be something wrong with those images.  We tried to view them but they were very small and no words could be read.  As if someone scaled an image using a no-antialiasing algorithm.

homerboy

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 07:26:52 PM »
Hmmm.. try these

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 07:53:16 PM »
This may take a little discussion, but I think it will be well worth it.

Those worked fine.  It appears there are two things here.

1. It seems Look@LAN is finding more machines than NEWT Pro is using IP discovery, is that correct?

2. Look@LAN is saying these machines are Windows and NEWT Pro says "Network Path Not Found", etc. for some of these machines.

If the first one is true, in NEWT Pro, please try turning off this option when performing the IP discovery:

* Only show devices/machines with resolvable Machine Names

Then compare this with Look@LAN.  Does NEWT Pro then return as many found IPs as Look@LAN?  I ask this because NEWT Pro uses a multiple stage detection method and we want to narrow down where the problem might be.

Thank you

homerboy

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 08:02:34 PM »
Yes with that option turned off, NEWT Pro seems to detect all the machines LL does.

Still returns "Network Path Not Found" on those same machines though.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 09:04:31 PM »
Ok, so now we know where the problem lies.  Would it be alright if, when we attempt to correct this issue, we send you a new version to try?

About "Network Path Not Found".  We believe Look@LAN can only tell if it's a Windows or non-Windows machine by if it gets a machine name returned.

NEWT Pro actually queries the machine as if you were to do a "Properties" on it through "My Network Places" using Windows itself.  It can then tell if it's a Win9x/NT4/W2K/XP, etc.  Apparently it doesn't look like you have privileges for these machines.  These may be the same machines that require their own username/password to login to.  You and others have requested a feature to get around this in the past.  We would like to add this feature at the same time.

Thanks again for the report.

homerboy

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 12:08:28 PM »
Yeap send away Ill be happy to test (lord knows Ive beta'ed enough stuff in my lifetime)

These are machines that require a unique user name/password... and I know that I have a administrator level login on these machines. I set one aside to test and I can login directly to the machine n/p. If I didnt have privlidges, wouldnt it say "No privlidges" instead of netowrk path not found?

What techincally is the dif between the 2 error msgs? I'm guessing that the Network Path error is returned on devices such as routers, switches, etc that may have IPs but no "OS" per se. Then again I get returns on Print Servers and on some PCs that I know I have priv. on...

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2004, 07:40:31 PM »
NEWT Pro uses different method than usual while retreiving the OS after discovery by IP.  The errors returned right now are standard Windows errors.  This is because there can be different kinds of error messages.  Usually, if you don't have proper access privileges, Windows should report "Access Denied", but we've also seen others.  As you know, Microsoft error messages can be quite unrevealing.

We will definitely contact you when we have a version for you to try.

homerboy

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2004, 07:48:01 PM »
Ah Ok... so its just whatever dumb msg windows is kicking back.

I look forward to a new beta version to hammer on... any ETA?

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 12:26:35 AM »
At the moment we're concentrating on redesigning our website.  We hope to have the site done sometime in March, but you know how these things can go.

homerboy

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2004, 12:14:30 PM »
Understood.
FYI the little disclaimer at the top of yoru website: "Our new website is in development
Please bear with us during the transition" Must be some funky non-default font as its VERY VERY small and darn near illegible for me (and it doesn't resize if I adjust my IE font sizes)

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2004, 08:57:50 PM »
Yes, this was something added by our web designer.  He meant for it to be small and unobtrusive, but apparently it's quite unreadable too.  :P

I must also correct myself from the previous message.  It appears we may be fixing some NEWT Pro issues sooner than later.  We'll let you know when we have something for you to try.

homerboy

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2004, 08:51:23 PM »
I guess Im still confused on this "Network Path not Found" error... there is obviously a difference between it and "No Privledges" as I get both msg in 1 scan.

See attachement.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2004, 10:38:45 PM »
Access Denied is analogous to "No Privileges".  According to Microsoft, "Network Path not found" means that the computer is disconnected from the network or is turned off, or the wrong computer name was used.

Therefore it could mean that your machine was unable to resolve the remote machine name into an address that it could communicate with internally.  Personal software firewalls could play a role in this, although I believe you had said all firewalls were removed from machines.

Are these "Network path not found" machines ones that aren't visible through "Network Neighborhood" or "My Network Places"?