April 19, 2024, 03:42:46 PM

Author Topic: Slitheris Portable License file issue  (Read 12060 times)

lemtargatwing

Slitheris Portable License file issue
« on: December 21, 2018, 03:33:44 PM »
Hello! 

I want to start by saying we absolutely love Slitheris! It works wonders for our network audits.  We have a licensed version, and I made a portable copy of it to run on different machines.  It works fine on my machine (naturally, I made the copy of it :) ), but once I try to run it somewhere else, the license file deletes itself and then it opens in an unlicensed manner. 

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Re: Slitheris Portable License file issue
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 05:13:04 PM »
Thank you very much!  We have big plans for it!

I think I may know what the problem is.  When we developed the feature to create a licensed portable copy, we wanted to make sure that when customers made licensed copies on USB drives and any drives were lost, those files couldn't simply be copied and uploaded all over the Interwebs by a stranger.  So in order to protect our customers and us, we needed to lock the license to the drive it was created on.  So you should be able to run it from that USB drive on any PC, but not just by copying the files to other drives.  Does that sound like what's going on there?

Also, can you give us more detailed info on how you intend to use it from multiple PCs?

lemtargatwing

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 06:33:01 PM »
You are correct, that is exactly what I'm seeing and it makes sense now!

So our plan for Slitheris branches out in two directions currently.

Branch one is for our network audits.  If we have a potential client contact us for services, we would go onsite and do a network audit (among other things of course) to make sure we quote the correct solution.  Slitheris is wonderful for this, as it gives all of the information I would normally get manually in one pane of glass.  However, I am no longer the only one who does audits, so the portable version was an idea for it (now that I know it's drive locked, this one works perfectly).

Branch two is current customer facing.  Our remote assistance software gives us a toolbox that I can run programs on remote computers from.  This way, I can run portable apps at the click of a button.  This was where we were seeing the licensing issue.  Occasionally we need to audit a company network in the case information isn't lining up between sources. 

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 12:41:45 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  Ok, great!  It sound like you have a good setup there.

If you have any more trouble with the portable version, please let us know.  Surprisingly, making a "portable version" was quite tricky and there may still be an issue here and there.

Just so you know, we're currently working on large IP range support so you don't have to break everything up into /24's.  We also plan to greatly improve device type identification so it recognizes more devices and is much more accurate, much faster scanning, etc.  That being said, may we ask what information you find most useful that we're able to provide?

lemtargatwing

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 06:12:09 PM »
Sorry for my delayed response on this, I missed the notification that you had replied due to the mass amount of email through the holidays.

So far, the information provided is what we are looking for!