April 23, 2024, 09:12:23 PM

Author Topic: Select which fields you want  (Read 7459 times)

Tribunal

Select which fields you want
« on: August 07, 2018, 11:55:57 AM »
Hello,

Love the product. 

Just wondering if a feature can be added to add/remove fields you want returned during the scan.  For example, if I don't want Brand, I'd like to remove it from the results. An even better option would be to stop it from scanning for that information at all if I choose, in the hopes it would speed up the scans.  This would still give me the option to scan for all of the information when I need it. 

Another feature would be scheduling and auto-exporting.  Currently, I can only scan once a quarter because of the time it takes for the scans and the manual exporting and formatting afterwards.  It would be great to be able to schedule the scans (e.g. 1st of every month) and have it dump the report into a network folder (either feature would be fantastic to have individually if both can't be added).

Thanks!

Travis

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Re: Select which fields you want
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 05:24:17 AM »
Thank you very much!  We love hearing it.  Please forgive our delay.

We know exactly what you mean.  One problem with this is that we're able to get multiple pieces of information from a single protocol.  For example, say we can get the OS, MAC Address and Estimated Age of the device at the same time (same port/protocol) and were unable to ask the remote PC port for only one of them.  Then say you didn't want the MAC Address in this scan, but what if it doesn't take any longer to retrieve the MAC Address when you already want the OS?  And I know you mentioned Brand as an example, but if you have a MAC Address, you have a brand or vendor.  You can see how a lot of what we gather is inextricably linked.  We're just not sure how to go about this yet.

There are other complications as well I can't mention here that may prevent us from disabling most info, but that being said, I do know we'll be working to greatly improve the device scan speed and efficiency through a complete re-write.

While re-writing the scan engine, we also plan on adding automated/scheduled scanning.  I'm not sure what we'll do about automated exporting at that time, but we do plan to have everything written to a database.  You'd be able to pull data from that DB as needed with 3rd party tools.

We're currently working on adding much-needed large IP range support as well as a few interface improvements.

Please let us know if you have any other ideas!