March 29, 2024, 01:39:35 PM

Author Topic: More \"No Privileges\" (fixed as of v2.5)  (Read 9346 times)

jrwoody6861

More \"No Privileges\" (fixed as of v2.5)
« on: February 11, 2004, 08:51:36 PM »
Hi,
First let me say that so far I really enjoy your product! I downloaded the demo and new within minutes we needed this at work. Just a quick email to the boss and we now are the proud owners of 400 licenses.

I have been reading the no privilege threads, and my question is should Newt be able to scan accross multiple domains?  I manage 4 Windows domains and am a member of the Admin group in all of them, but if I scan when logged in the main domain all the domains show up but, I get lots of no privilege messages in machines in the other 3 domains. Not all but lots.  If I log in to one of the other domains and scan then I have privileges.  Is this expected or normal?

Thanks
Woody

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 10:06:25 PM »
Thank you for being a valued customer!  We hope you'll enjoy free future upgrades of NEWT Pro.

I assume you're truly on domains and not workgroups, correct?  Sometimes these terms are used interchangeably but are very different in meaning.

You can scan (get privileges) across multiple domains providing you establish a trust relationship between them.  This is a normal Windows security setting and should be pretty easy to change.

We plan to offer a tutorial on this and other security issues related to privileges in the future, but here are a few short tutorials that may help.

From Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;111565

This one is for NT4, but may be of some use:
http://www.tgsolutions.com/Labs/NT-Labs/Lab-NT-10A.htm

Please let us know if you are successful in creating the trust.

jrwoody6861

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 01:37:15 PM »
Hi again,

Yes I truly am using domains, and I am in the Domain\\Admins group for all domains (there are 4) I even have matching username password credentials on the 2 domains I am primarily concerned about.  These 2 domains do trust each other, but the one thing is the domain I log into normally is running active directory, the other domain is not.  Could this make a difference.

Thanks,
Woody

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 06:10:13 PM »
As far as we know, this shouldn't make a difference.

Even though the two domains have trust relationships, you can't scan most machines in the other domain.  You did say you scan some of these machines, correct?

We did have another user, you may have read about, who's unscannable (No Privilege) machines had individual software firewalls installed, though this probably isn't the problem in your case since there are so many unscannable.

Are both of your domain controllers running the same OS? (i.e., W2K3 Server)

Have you tried contacting Microsoft support about this issue?  At this point I'm not sure how much we can help, but we'd like to know what the solution is so we can help others.  Using RegEdit and browsing to something like the path below on the remote machine is often a good test to determine if you have administrator access to the remote machine.  NEWT Pro uses the  remote registry a great deal to retrieve its information.  This will also eliminate NEWT Pro when dealing with Microsoft support.

SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Uninstall

Please let us know when you come to a solution.  And please don't hesitate to ask anything else of us.