March 29, 2024, 02:39:37 PM

Author Topic: No Privileges  (Read 16115 times)

KenDingo

No Privileges
« on: February 14, 2004, 01:03:21 PM »
Hello,

Let me start out by saying I am currently using NEWT Freeware and love it. Fantastic product.

I am an IT contractor who services many clients in my area. The networks i work on vary from work groups to multi domains in a forest. OSs range from Linux to 98 to XP. I am looking for a product that will allow me to come in with my laptop connect to a network and scan the network.

Newt Freeware allows me to do this but i get the "No Privliages" message.

My questions about NEWTpro are:

Will NEWTPro allow me to create settings to put in administrator information (username & password) without being a domain administrator? Kind of like a "run as" or "install as" feature.

If i purchase NEWTPro with 200 licenses and I support over a thousand of computers, with no more than 200 at each location, will i need to have licenses for each computer?

I am about to try the PRO version today on a small test network to see the extra features. Any help you could offer to me about my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kenn Brown

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
No Privileges
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 08:31:40 PM »
Thank you very much!  We're glad you enjoy it.

NEWT Freeware and Pro versions will only properly scan NT-based (NT4/W2K/XP Pro/W2K3) machines at this time.  Win9x, Linux and Macs need software agents installed before they can be scanned.  NEWT Pro doesn't provide this yet, but it's on our public list of planned features.

NEWT Pro does not allow you to create alternate username/passwords at this time.  However this is probably one of our most requested features and is currently being developed.  This will be most useful in Workgroup configurations.

If machines are part of a domain, we would highly recommend making yourself a domain adminstrator.   In a domain setup I don't believe you can enter a username/password to gain access to a remote machine.  Even if this were possible, it would take much more time than if you walked over to the domain controller and made yourself part of the Domain Admin group so you can get a good scan.

NEWT Pro is considered to be like any other tool, except that copies can be made of it.  If you only use NEWT Pro on up to 200 machines at a time, at each location and you're a contractor, you would only need to buy a 200 machine license, providing license key info is erased and re-entered depending on what location you're in.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

dwpenn

No Privileges
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 07:20:16 PM »
I found that the pro version also came up with the No Privileges. Now, these machines are all in my small home network, so they're all to where I could change that setting, but I wouldn't know what to change so that these particular privileges were granted.:)

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
No Privileges
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 07:41:49 PM »
Hi, it just means you have a different username/password for each machine.

Just double-click on each computer through "My Network Places" and enter the proper username/password for each.  You should then have privileges.

We are working on an easier method that will be built into NEWT Pro.

Please let us know if this worked for you.

dwpenn

No Privileges
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 07:51:18 PM »
I understand that this will not return data on Win9X machines, but I have three XP machines on the home network, and two of the three return "No privileges". The machine that doesn't do this is the one NEWT is running on.  So, if no clients are required on the remote XP machines, why are they saying "No privileges"?

Also, is there are version coming out that will lift MAC and other data from other devices in the network, i.e. Wireless Access Point, Media Player, etc.?

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
No Privileges
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 07:55:32 PM »
Hello, did you read my previous message?  We replied pretty quickly after you wrote it.

Your other question of course was answered when you asked it here:
http://www.komododigital.com/KomodoForum/viewthread.php?tid=155

Thanks!