March 28, 2024, 07:17:33 PM

Author Topic: IP Discover ?  (Read 9652 times)

InnovativeIT

IP Discover ?
« on: March 01, 2006, 12:15:29 PM »
When you perform an IP Discover, how does it perform this?  The reason I ask is that their are machines that I can ping, but the IP Discover is not listing.  Also I have 3 machines that have a yellow status light after scanning.  It shows me their host name and IP but shows a yellow status light.  Whenever I run a scan on those machines it then reports a \"network path not found\".  

This is in a Windows 2000 Domain enviroment with Windows XP SP2 machines.  I have changed the group policy to enable remote administration and forced the updates on the clients.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
IP Discover ?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 05:22:02 PM »
NEWT uses the same function as DOS ping to find live remote IPs.

Could you paste in a message what you\'re seeing when performing a DOS ping where NEWT was unsuccessful?

Also, you\'re using version 2.0.2284, correct?

As for the XP/SP2 machines, could you check one of these locally and make sure the XP firewall isn\'t turned on?  As I don\'t believe the firewall can be controlled through policies on a Win2000 based domain.

InnovativeIT

IP Discover ?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 01:13:22 AM »
This was at a new client and it appears that they may have some DNS issues that I need to resolve first.  Several IPs in DNS have the same DNS name causing your program to dump them at the end of the IP Discovery Scan(I guess it assumes they are the same PC since the PTR records report the same name for different IPs?).  I am cleaning that up at the moment and will retry the scan and see if it yields better results.

You are able to \"upgrade\" the Windows 2000 group policy by simple following this article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307900

Yes I am using verstion 2.0.2284.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
IP Discover ?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 01:38:55 AM »
Yes, because machine names are used to key data, NEWT currently does not allow duplicate machine names.  This allows you to find new machines on the network without needing to delete duplicates.

Thanks for the info about upgrading W2K Server group policy!

InnovativeIT

IP Discover ?
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 10:02:49 AM »
After fixing DNS for the most part, I still get a few machines that when they are discovered show the hostname as the full domain name and show nothing in the group section(which normally shows the domain they are in).  When doing a scan on those machines it reports \"network path not found\".  Is their something other than the GP that needs to be changed in order for it to scan succefully?  Do you have a list that tells me what needs to be enabled/disabled for scans to be successful?  Thank you.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
IP Discover ?
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 02:48:48 PM »
Unfortunately we do not yet have such a list, but we are working on one.  Since all other machines are working fine, it doesn\'t sound like a GP setting.

Could it be there is a local 3rd party firewall installed on those machines, such as McAfee or Symantec?