April 19, 2024, 09:52:37 PM

Author Topic: Windows Product Key  (Read 11364 times)

JohnnyF

Windows Product Key
« on: October 06, 2006, 12:41:32 PM »
Hi.  first off great product.

I\'m noticing that all my XP PRO machines are showing the same product code - they are all DELL\'s (laptops and desktops) and all have OEM licenses.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Windows Product Key
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 02:51:06 PM »
System OEMs will often use the same Product Key (CD Key) when configuring systems due to cloning or ghosting.  This common practice is unfortunate and irritating, since they have correct COA Product Key stickers with the correct Product Key on them.  It makes gathering this key a manual process.  However they can be changed to the correct key.  This is also a manual task, but it would only need to be done once per machine rather than having to keep a separate list of keys outside of NEWT.

To have the same Product Key on laptops and desktops does sound strange however.

Could you try running a free utility called Jellybean Keyfinder on one of the desktops and one of the laptops to see if it also reads them as being the same?

You can download it here:
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

toaster

Windows Product Key
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 11:07:40 PM »
Unfortunately, the keyfinder doesn\'t work well with OEM products. It works real well with the retail version.  Maybe I\'m doing something wrong, but I have verified this.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Windows Product Key
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 03:35:07 PM »
Hi!  What does keyfinder show for OEM products?  It\'s shown the correct key for everything as far as we can tell.

Does NEWT show the proper key while Jellybean Keyfinder doesn\'t?

toaster

Windows Product Key
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 11:33:16 PM »
The values that keyfinder shows don\'t match with the OEM stickers. I verified with different vendors, Dell, HP, and Compaqs.

But, Newt is awesome. It shows the correct keys 100% of the time. Great work. ;)

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Windows Product Key
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 02:04:46 PM »
Thank you.  We\'re constantly working hard to improve it.

However, Jellybean Keyfinder and NEWT should be showing the same thing since both look in the same place.  There is also only one place to look for it in the registry as far as we know.

So if keyfinder doesn\'t match with OEM stickers, neither should NEWT.  This is usually the case with these manufacturers due to cloning.