March 29, 2024, 12:08:04 AM

Author Topic: Hostname vs. Machine Name?  (Read 26565 times)

rr2r

Hostname vs. Machine Name?
« on: February 01, 2007, 03:58:08 PM »
Hello,

We are running the 30 days evaluation copy of latest NEWT on our network. We have most of the issues resolved thanks to reading this forum, but about 10 computers still give us various error messages. As I believe that some of them are really specific to our network and not your software I will not ask about those yet, but what I would like to find out today is what is the difference between the MACHINE NAME and HOSTNAME as reported by your software, and what can it mean if these two do not match?

Thank you for any info on that!

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Hostname vs. Machine Name?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 07:54:57 PM »
Hello there.  And thank you for trying our software!

Machine Name is the NetBIOS name of your computer and is used by the Windows Browser Service.  The Hostname is the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) used by DNS.  If you\'re on a domain, your Hostname may look something like this: MyComputerName.TheDomainName.com.  This is quite common and is normal.  Machine Name and Hostname will also differ if your DHCP server has a Domain Name set to give out to computers requesting a new IP address.

You should be able to address any computer by either it\'s Machine Name, Hostname or IP address.

So if your Machine name looks like this:
MyComputer

And your Hostname looks something like this:
MyComputer.MyDomain.com

Then you should be ok.  But if you don\'t see your Machine name anywhere in the Hostname, then something strange may be going on with your DNS.

If you\'re having scan errors related to the registry or WMI, please feel free to email us at support@komodolabs.com