April 20, 2024, 03:09:29 PM

Author Topic: Application "Last used"  (Read 9359 times)

TCSBud

Application "Last used"
« on: February 07, 2007, 05:46:05 PM »
Newt has done very well at displaying all the apps on my clients.  However, I have found that the \"Last used\" date is not accurate.  This info would help tremendously when I\'m deciding which apps to clean out of a build.  Perhaps I didn\'t do something right on the scan.
Any help is most appreciated with this wonderful product.

Thank you.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Application "Last used"
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 06:58:10 PM »
Hi, thanks for the compliments!  \"Last used\" as well as other data such as \"Frequency of Use\" are gathered from \"Add/Remove Programs\", which we found later is incorrect.  We\'ve actually thought about removing this feature since it\'s more often than not, unreliable.  This feature was added as an afterthought.  We saw Windows reported it, and so we also assumed it was correct.

What you\'re wanting is something called \"Software Metering\" (search for it on Google).  This would require a program that actually sits and stays running on all the computers, monitoring and recording what programs are used, how often and for what length of time.  This would let you know what\'s being used so you can uninstall or move licenses from/to different machines to improve software license compliance.  In the future, we\'d love to add such a feature to NEWT.  This will take some time though and would probably be an \"add on\" module.

TCSBud

Application "Last used"
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 10:37:18 AM »
Thanks so much for your response and I accept that.  As long as I know not to depend on that function, I can certainly work around it.   As a note, I have generated several reports (exports to Excel) with the data Newt collected, and I\'ve already seen benifits in supporting my domain in rooting out low level HW, bad drives and SCSI controllers that don\'t belong in my environment.   I\'m nearly sold...   another week to test drive.   I\'m looking forward to ver2.5...  do you have a release date?
Thanks again for your support.  I\'ll be talking to you.

TCSBud

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Application "Last used"
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 07:23:59 PM »
No problem, we\'re here to help.

We don\'t yet have a release date for v2.5, but we do know the price will increase somewhat.  All users who buy now will get a free upgrade, although we haven\'t advertised this yet since the release date can\'t yet be well estimated.