March 28, 2024, 07:45:18 AM

Author Topic: Credentials / Logon failed Vista / Server 2008  (Read 9027 times)

mmijeff

Credentials / Logon failed Vista / Server 2008
« on: January 04, 2010, 01:55:33 PM »
When scanning Vista and Sever 2008 machines I get logon failed, check credentials error, the credentials are there for the user but initial discovery still fails.  I suspect there might be some security issue blocking NEWT from obtaining the baseline information, any ideas??

NEWINFO - I created a share for the C-drive with administrator access and then I was able to scan the system... I suspect local server/system security is preventing initial NEWT scan of hidden shares on Svr 2008 and Vista

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 04:50:24 AM »
Hi there.  First, I wanted to make sure, do you have the latest version 2.5.144?  Second, what happens if you just try to access those machines from Windows Explorer or IE using \"\\\\ComputerName\" or \"\\\\ComputerName\\ADMIN$\"?  Does a Username/Password dialog appear?  And can you get access after entering your credentials?

I assume everything is on a domain as well.  Have you tried logging onto it as part of the Domain Admin group?  Usually if you\'re using a domain, this is best practice.  It bypasses the need to to use credentials at all.  Otherwise you may be fighting Windows default security.

19cummings56

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 08:14:46 PM »
Different user same question: I can access the machine with \"\\\\ComputerName\\ADMIN$\". A username/password dialog box appears. I can log in.

What log pattern do I set in the credentials?

Thanks in advance. :cool:

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 05:55:01 AM »
Hi, sure, whatever credentials you type into Windows to get access to the ADMIN$ share, you should be using in Newt.  Just right click on one or more PCs under the Primary tab and choose \"Set Credentials\".  It should be as simple as that.  If you\'re having a problem with that, let us know and we\'ll try to help.

In future versions we plan make credentials easier to enter and edit in general.

mmijeff

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 01:50:07 PM »
I assume everything is on a domain as well. Have you tried logging onto it as part of the Domain Admin group? Usually if you\'re using a domain, this is best practice. It bypasses the need to to use credentials at all. Otherwise you may be fighting Windows default security.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
We\'ve tested this on a fresh install of 2008 Server & Vista and was able to scan it and access the ADMIN$ share through Windows without having to share anything.  On Vista there are some default settings you may need to change.  We\'ll do some testing without changing default security options and simply share a drive to see what we get.