March 28, 2024, 05:49:55 PM

Author Topic: Access issue  (Read 9342 times)

Divyesh

Access issue
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:28:27 PM »
Hi, I have just installed NEWT PRO and trying to scan all the machines on my network. I cannot seem to be able to SCAN one particular Desktop. The message I get is \"Host 192.0.0.8 is unreachable and may not be powered on, may not be connected to the network at this time or may be firewalled.\". I have check that the desktop is online and on the network. The windows firewall is off as well. The Desktop has XP Pro SP3.
Can you help?

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Access issue
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:45:50 PM »
Hi, we\'ll do all we can to help.

Could you try accessing the PC in Windows Explorer or IE using \"\\\\192.0.0.8\"?

Since Newt\'s showing an IP as the host instead of a PC name, do you happen to have \"Use IP Address instead of Machine Name\" enabled under Preferences?  If this option\'s enabled and the IP has changed since the last discovery, you may get this error because this option forces Newt to use the IP only.  If you are using that option, you should do a fresh discovery from scratch every time you wish to scan.  We are working on a solution to this issue.

If you\'re not using this option, please let me know and we\'ll take a different approach.

Divyesh

Access issue
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:08:42 AM »
Jim,
Thanks for your quick reply... I have checked and the \"Use IP address instead of Machine Name\" is not ticked.

I have also checked the PC (using IPconfig)  and it has a valid IP adderess as per our Network and is also connecting properly to our network. There was a free spyware program (SUPERSPY) installed which I have removed and this has not made any difference. I have tried just scanning for that PC.

Divyesh

Access issue
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 10:54:55 AM »
HI Jim,
Just more information on the issue, Although its got an IP address 10.10.xxx.xxx. When I ping the machine using its name I get the message Host not reachable in ip addresss 192.0.0.8. However when I  ping the machines IP address ( as shown on IPCONFIG), It works fine. Could this be the issue ? and any ideas how to resolve it?

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Access issue
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 01:43:03 AM »
It sounds like a network issue for sure, possibly DNS.  Are you able to access the machine by name through Windows Explorer or IE?  If you can\'t, does rebooting that machine help?  You could also try setting it to a static IP to see if you\'re able to scan it then.

Divyesh

Access issue
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for your help, There was an issue with the DNS and this was resloved by our network administrator

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Access issue
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 04:47:36 AM »
No problem.  We\'ll look into this from our end too and see if we can come up with a way to detect DNS issues like this.

Please let us know if you need anything else.