March 28, 2024, 03:12:47 PM

Author Topic: Hostname Contains  (Read 9874 times)

barret.newman

Hostname Contains
« on: October 27, 2010, 05:03:32 AM »
Weird issue we have going on here with one of our local workstations in our main office.

We have a local domain for our office (let\'s call the domain \"workdomain.local\") which is running on a Windows Server 2008 R2 server - and then we have various other workstations either running Windows Xp Professional SP3 or Windows 7 Professional.

One of the workstations (let\'s call it comp1) when I do a NEWT scan on it reports back the following details:

Machine Name: COMP1.WORKDOMAIN.LOCAL
Hostname: COMP1.MSHOME.NET
Group: WORKDOMAIN

MSHOME.NET - where did this come from?

I have confirmed that the computer has been restarted, it is a member of our domain, network adapter properties look correct, and when I do an IPCONFIG of the workstation I see no \"MSHOME.NET\" values.

Any idea what could be causing this on this one workstation out of our whole office?

Thanks,
- Barret Newman

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Hostname Contains
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 05:26:23 PM »
Hello Barret.  NEWT currently determines the hostname locally from remote PC (COMP1) rather than resolving the name from the scanning PC.  It uses what the remote PC (again COMP1) thinks is the primary IP, or rather what it sees if you try to have COMP1 ping itself.  In future a version we\'ll most likely have two hostname fields to allow resolving remotely and locally for diagnostic purposes.  We\'re still working on adding multi-NIC support.

Does COMP1 happen to have 2 NICs?  If so and it\'s not connected, does disabling that connection in Windows change anything?

barret.newman

Hostname Contains
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 06:03:36 PM »
This computer actually only has one network adapter inside of it.

And to my understanding, everything looks correct in the adapter settings - and matches what all the other computers in our office are using.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Hostname Contains
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 09:08:50 PM »
That\'s very strange.  What happens if you perform a \"ping -a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\" locally on that machine, where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP?

Also, is what you\'re seeing after just an IP Discovery or after an actual scan, where you\'re getting a lot more information?

barret.newman

Hostname Contains
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 08:26:19 PM »
1. If I \"ping -a\", the workstation just says COMP1, but all the other workstations in the office when I \"ping -a\" them say \"COMP2.WORKDOMAIN.LOCAL\", \"COMP3.WORKDOMAIN.LOCAL\", etc etc.

2. When I do an IP discover, the computer name comes up as just \"COMP1\", then when I perform the scan it resolves it as \"COMP1.MSHOME.NET\"

barret.newman

Hostname Contains
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »
Wow...

I was scrolling through the Network browser on my workstation and noticed something called \"Internet Connection Gateway\". I then right clicked on it and it gave me some IPv6 address and a MAC Address - which I didn\'t recongize. I then logged into my DHCP Server, looked up the MAC Address and it was the machine that had \"MSHOME.NET\" in the hostname.

I took another look at the computer and then realized weeks ago when our internet went down for 1-2 hours, I connected a Rogers Internet RocketStick to this workstation so that the user could continue working online. When I reconnected the RocketStick, sure enough the device was labeled as a \"Shared Connection\". Once I disabled this, the \"Internet Connection Gateway\" instance in the Network Browser disappeared, and the NEWT scan reported back with the correct hostname.

Very odd - but glad this is resolved!

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Hostname Contains
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 01:16:13 AM »
Great, thank you for letting us know.  We do plan on adding a mult-NIC detection feature so you can track down issues like this.  Glad to hear you got it fixed.