March 28, 2024, 07:57:10 PM

Author Topic: error 1231 on local machine scan  (Read 14668 times)

ref4fun

error 1231 on local machine scan
« on: January 18, 2011, 02:54:52 PM »
I\'m trying to evaluate using the trial version 2.5 build 170.  When I attempt to scan the local machine I receive an error (Connection error occured - the network location cannot be reached)  What services need to be running in order to scan properly.

I\'m logged in as the local administrator on a Win XP Professional box  w SP3.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »
Hello there.  We\'re working to make scanning of the local machine work differently, but currently Newt treats the local machine just like a remote PC.

When you see \"Connection error occurred\", it means Windows can\'t access the machine remotely.  I know it\'s your local machine, but try going to \"\\\\YourComputerName\" in Windows Explorer or IE and you should get a similar error.  This could be a setting in the Windows firewall preventing network access to even itself.  You could try disabling the Windows Firewall temporarily, if it\'s on.

Also, you should let the software update to the latest 175 build.  We\'re always working to improve and the latest build should always be the most reliable.

If you have further problems, please feel free to post here or email us at supportATkomodolabs.com.

ref4fun

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 11:24:53 AM »
My windows firewall/internet Connection Sharing  (ICS) was already disabled and I do not get a connection error by \\\\comutername in IE or windows explorer, they both open without error

I have verified that the following services are started:

remote registry
routing and remote access
server
workstation task scheduler
windows installer
RPC
RPC Locator
Remote Access Connection Manager

All antivirus services are stopped (Symantec Endpoint 11.0)

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 05:01:32 PM »
Ok, we\'ll work with on via on this since it seems to be so uncommon.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 05:10:03 PM »
We returned a reply to your email yesterday, but haven\'t heard anything back.  Did you receive it ok?  It may have gotten caught in your spam box.

We have your phone # from your email as well and if we don\'t get a reply, we\'ll go ahead and call you if that\'s ok.

cfrench0817

Re: error 1231 on local machine scan
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 07:04:42 PM »
After contacting tech support and basically discovering that this is still not fixed and that it is inherent to the software to need to connect to the system that needs scanning over the network, I have discovered a basic workaround for this issue with standalone systems. I now carry around a dumb switch with a network cable, attach it to the standalone system, and enable the network on the standalone system. This fools the Newt software into thinking it is hitting the system over a network and allows the scan to be run. The way I figure it, better to have a workaround solution than none at all.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 07:32:18 PM »
Yes, Newt 2.5 still treats the local PC as a remote PC.  The only explanation is that it was much easier to code and in 99% of cases this isn't an issue, because most machines are connected to a network of some kind and can access themselves through \\LocalPCName\ADMIN$.

But we are working to change this in the next major version so it truly runs the scan locally.  Even better is a plan to have a local agent that can be simply copied to a USB drive and ran locally on PCs that aren't normally connected to a network for whatever reason.  It would then write a file you could important into your main database.  This will be a free upgrade of course and is one of the reasons we're offering Free Lifetime Upgrades.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 03:09:28 AM »
We just wanted to let everyone know that we're working to change the way NEWT Pro 2.5 scans the local PC so that it doesn't treat it as networked and therefore shouldn't require a network.  We should have this fixed in a couple weeks.