March 28, 2024, 10:50:17 PM

Author Topic: IP Address showing instead of Computer Name (fixed in Build 323)  (Read 11323 times)

BizWiz

For some reason using the Discover and Scan by IP Range feature is now reporting an IP addresses in the Machine Name field instead of the computer name in a large percentage of the computers. The hostname displays correctly. Nothing's changed network wise. Maybe a windows update? Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Biz
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:41:36 AM by Komodo Support »

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Hi there.  Another user ran into this problem recently, but it turned out their machines had "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" disabled, possibly due to a firewall or security reasons.

Could you try targeting "nbtstat -a [IP Address]" in a DOS prompt and see if it gives a name & MAC address back?

Maciej

I just run into the same issue. Half of our machines show Machine name correctly and some of them show IP. when doing nbtstat for either of the machines I get "Host not found". Using latest version 2.5 b 317.

I will check for NetBIOS setting on machines not showing correct Machine name.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Thank you.  We're looking into improving this now.  It might be a couple weeks before it's done.  But basically its due to NEWT only using one or two methods.  Our Slitheris Network Discovery uses several, so you'll not only get a better device name in Slitheris, but it'll probably do it better than most IP scanners out there.  The goal is to get that same "surface" scan technology inside NEWT as well.  I have your email address so as soon as we have a pre-release ready, we'll contact you, ok?

Maciej

Sure, happy to test the functionality once in pre-release state.

One thing that also would be nice to have is to add Host Name to "Machine Details" view:

When I double click on a machine to view its details, I have the machine name or IP address in "Machine Name" field in top left corner of the window. If its is an IP address, then there is no way to know what the "host name" is (or at least I can't find it - might be that I am blind ha ha). So even though I can see most information that I need - I still need to go back to main scan window, and look for host name.

Of course if the scanning technology will be improved and Machine Name in NEWT will always show computer name - then above issue will be resolved as well :)

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
Great.  For NEWT to get the PC Name in these cases, you'll need admin rights.  However we're working on technology that detects the Name from many different places on the remote PC/server with no rights whatsoever.

We'll contact you through your sign-up email as soon as we have something.  Please be patient, but we should have something for you by Monday the 29th. Correction: Rescheduled for Tuesday the 30th as Monday is our Memorial Day.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:13:51 PM by Komodo Support »