March 28, 2024, 06:22:27 PM

Author Topic: Software detection for Linux?  (Read 15842 times)

verbal

Software detection for Linux?
« on: September 30, 2004, 05:05:55 PM »
Hello,

So we tested out the freeware version and notice that NEWT will pick up Linux machines, IP scan and such.  Very helpful.

I looked in the forums and you guys say you don't support Linux yet.  ooook, not exactly sure what that means, so I'll ask my question.

From a Windows XP machine, can I use NEWT Pro to scan a network to pick up Software on a Linux computer?

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 07:21:24 PM »
Hi and thank you for your interest in NEWT Pro!

When we say "yet", it means we do plan on being able to scan Linux machines from Windows some time in the future.  We're also interested in scanning Mac OSX machines too.

We believe Linux needs an agent (special software installed on the remote machine created by us) to be installed on each machine, but we haven't been able to do much research on this yet.

eolson

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 02:03:20 PM »
I just purchased 100 client license for Newt Pro 2.0.  I have installed my thrid linux desktop.  Can I be informed of any beta testing for a linux agent.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 02:52:11 PM »
Hello Mr. Olson.  Thank you for being one of our valued customers.

We can give you access to the beta forums and allow you to follow conversations there, but because a Linux agent is so far down the road and we have no system in place for this, we\'re unable to automatically inform potential beta testers directly.

Please let us know if you\'d like beta forum access and we\'ll get you right in.

pgmitadmin

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 12:39:09 PM »
We ran a scan of a couple hundred systems and although we were expecting to find about 20+ linux/Sun servers it could only identify 1. Is there a setting or override that will give us more success

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 03:44:49 PM »
Hi, are you running an IP Discovery?  NEWT should at least show which machines are Linux when they are added to the Primary tab, but we\'re not sure if Sun would show up.  Are the Sun machines on Windows network and show up in \"My Network Places\" for example?

If you have further problems with this particular issue, please let us know.  It may be more efficient and easier to handle this directly through email or a phone call.

sawatt

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 02:19:27 PM »
Is the agent for the Linux machines available??  I need to have it installed??

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 05:54:15 PM »
Hi there.  Unfortunately we do not have a Linux agent at this time.  It may be a while before we have one, but we have every intention to develop it.