March 28, 2024, 05:19:18 PM

Author Topic: unable to scan (error 53)  (Read 9380 times)

baraff

unable to scan (error 53)
« on: March 15, 2006, 06:57:18 PM »
Greetings...
I have downloaded the Newt 2.0 trial and set it up on a simple test network (WIndows XP) consisting of the host computer and two \"workstations\". I am able to recognize the two workstations, but no information has been returned other than MAC address, Netbios name, Group, and IP address. When I rescan, I get \"Windows cannot find the network path\" and no other infomation is returned.
Here is what I have tried:
set Network Access Sharing and Security to \"Classic\"
pinging both computername and IP - ok
enabling Remote Registry Service on workstations
disabling firewalls (SP2) -did this first
Checked MTU settings - 1500
Any suggestions? I have a feeling that either a needed service is disabled or a Local Security Setting has been tightened up. Do you have a \"suggested\" model for workstation security that will allow this program to run?
Thanks,
baraff

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 07:07:27 PM »
We\'re assuming this are XP Pro machines, not XP Home, correct?

It sounds like you\'ve checked all the right settings.  Are you able to access the remote machine just through Windows Explorer?

baraff

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 07:39:53 PM »
Yes, these are XP Pro machines. I cannot see the two workstation computers locally in WIndows Explorer, nor are they browsable. I can ping them. Might this have to do with having  the host machine in a domain, but logged in locally? I wanted to not run this over our network until I could see how it worked, hence the local 192.168.0.x network.
Thanks

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 11:22:45 PM »
Since you can\'t see other machines through Windows Explorer, there is definitely something wrong with the network.

It\'s very difficult to diagnose a network problem like that, but if you make them all part of the same workgroup and their IP\'s are in the same segment (192.168.0.x), then you should be able to see them without a problem.

I am sorry, I wish we could help you further on this.  If you figure it out, please let us know and we can send you a 30-day trial key to try NEWT Pro on your entire network.

baraff

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 06:18:57 PM »
I didn\'t realize File and Print Sharing needed to be enabled. We normally disable this on our machines as it is not needed. Now everything seems to be working properly.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 06:22:16 PM »
Great.  This is something so basic, we usually don\'t think about it, but we will keep this in mind for next time.

File and Print Sharing is definitely needed any time you need to access remote machines.