March 28, 2024, 02:49:59 PM

Author Topic: Error 5 on XP Pro and Vista  (Read 10873 times)

TechDel

Error 5 on XP Pro and Vista
« on: August 11, 2011, 02:57:46 PM »
Think your program is great but am getting Error 5 while scanning one XP Pro SP3 and all three of our Vista machines. I have read the other threads about this error and tried all the suggested solutions. Our other XP Pro and Win 7 machines scan properly. Here is our data:

The administrative machine is Win XP Pro SP3. All computers are set up properly for the same workgroup. Most nodes are running Norton Security Suite. The administrative computer is set to Full Trust on each node in Norton’s Network security Map. Norton’s Remote Monitoring is set to On on all machines. Windows firewall is Off on all machines. Admin account is password protected and credentials are properly set in NEWT. All computers can be pinged from the admin computer.

Receiving this error message on all three Vista and one XP Pro SP3 machines: Can\'t access ADMIN$ share on <computername>. (Error 5: Access is denied.) -> Hint: You may not be using Administrator credentials. Try visiting \\\\<computername>\\ADMIN$ from Windows Explorer or IE.

Vista Computers setup:
•   TokenFilterPolicy: On
•   Can access shared folders thru IE using \\\\computername\\public and get asked for credentials using \\\\computername\\admin$, but will not connect after entering admin user and password
•   Does not list any XP computers in Workgroup
•   Network Discovery, Public Folder Sharing and File and Printer Sharing are all On
•   Network is set to Private in network & sharing center

XP Pro SP 3 Computer – set up like other XP machines:
•   File & Printer sharing On
•   Can access shared folders thru IE using \\\\computername and get asked for credentials using \\\\computername\\admin$, but will not connect after entering admin user and password
•   Local Security Policy set to Classic

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 06:53:01 PM »
Hi and thank you for the compliments.  It sounds like you\'re very knowledgeable and that you\'ve got everything set up properly.  It seems to us you should be able to get to the ADMIN$ share.

Vista Computers:
On one of those Vista machines, can you check that LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy in the following path and is set to 1?:
HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Policies\\system

I assumed having TokenFilterPolicy on meant it should, but I want to make sure.

XP Pro SP3:
I can\'t think of any settings to change that would fix this at this time, but you could try disabling Norton one on of those temporary just to rule it out.  Since Norton is on the other XP PCs, it shouldn\'t be causing it, as I\'m sure you agree, but it\'s the only thing I can think of right now.

The fact that you can\'t get to the ADMIN$ share from Windows after entering credentials shows it\'s a Windows security issue and not NEWT-specific, but it does affect NEWT so we try to help where we can.

On the XP and Vista machines, can they access their own ADMIN$ share from themselves?

TechDel

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:25:54 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.

Local AccountTokenFilterPolicy is set to 1 on all three Vistas at the path specified.

Disabling Norton did not help on either the XP or the Vistas.

All can access their own ADIMN$ share from themselves.

I should also note that the XP Pro I am using to adminster NEWT only lists one other computer in our workgroup of 21 even though the Norton Network map sees everything. The Vistas & Win 7\'s only list other Vistas and Win 7\'s in their Workgroup. They all use the same workgroup name. If I do a Windows search, every computer will find the shared folders & printers of every other computer, but I cannot access the Admin$ share folder of the computers that will not scan from the administrative computer.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »
No problem.  On one of those XP PC\'s, could you check to see if the Simple File Sharing is enabled?  I do know you\'d want that off.

1. Open Explorer and select Tools -> Folder Options
2. Select the View tab and scroll all the way down to the bottom of Advanced Settings

That is strange NEWT isn\'t seeing at least your XP machines.  Right now it just uses the Computer Browser service.  You could also check to see if Windows can see other PCs through \"My Network Places\".  Norton Network map uses different methods, which we\'re looking into for a future version.

I still don\'t have anything to try for the Vista issue, but we\'re giving it some thought.

TechDel

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 06:53:39 PM »
Simple File Sharing was enabled on the administrative machine, but no other XP\'s. Disabled it but still cannot scan the problem XP.

I can see every PC on the network by searching for it in My Network Places, but only one of them shows up in the administrative computer\'s list of workgroup computers.

Komodo Support

• Administrator
  • Dayton, Ohio, USA
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:09:30 PM »
Ok so Windows \"My Network Places\" can\'t see any other PCs and neither can NEWT.  That makes sense.

Have you tried getting to these problem PC\'s ADMIN$ shares from other machines to see if one of them can?  I\'d be curious to see what happens with that.